Everyone wants to make a great first impression – especially when it comes to business. That’s why I’m so surprised that very few folks who are in sales or in business for themselves use their personal Facebook profile as a business card.
Everyone can see your profile – or at least part of it – on Facebook. So why aren’t you using that space to support your business?
If you search for someone that you’re not yet friends with on Facebook, what do you see? Usually not very much.
But, if you’re in business for yourself and a past or prospective client tries to find you using Facebook, what do you want them to see? Contact information is vital, maybe a brief resume of sorts and definitely a link to your Facebook business page – the place where they can connect with you.
It’s easy to get your public facing profile in top shape. Just follow these three steps.
Step 1 – What do you have?
First, check out what the public can see of your Facebook page. To do that:
• Choose “View As…”from the settings drop down just under your Facebook cover image on your profile.
• You’ll get a new toolbar indicating that you are viewing your profile as the public would see it.
• A hyperlink to your business Facebook page – this would appear under your profile picture
• Professional contact information
• Relevant job or education history
• Description of your business or service, including any specialties
Step 3 – Make a change.
If you don’t like what your customers are seeing, that’s easy to correct.
• Close out of the public view
• Click on the blue “About” under your profile photo
• Under any heading choose the “Edit” button to modify the information that appears
• Change who can view each piece of information by clicking on the icons to the right of that information
Are you using Facebook as your personal business card?