Today’s consumers are more empowered than ever before, researching products and services in a multitude of ways — and smart local marketers are there at every touchpoint. While it’s true that search will always be at the heart of local marketing, it isn’t just about Google.
Think about it: With most local businesses laser-focused on Google, it can be hard to stand out. The ability to embrace other opportunities and diversify your local marketing mix can be a game changer for your business in 2019 and beyond.
That’s why more and more savvy local marketers have broadened their scope significantly, with a new focus on other platforms including social, directories and online reviews. And with competition fiercer than ever, there’s no better time than now to leverage a cohesive, versatile local marketing strategy that gets you in front of the right consumers with the right messaging at the right time.
Let’s talk about what that looks like:
- Other Search Engines: When consumers are in the market for a product or service, they research on their phones, tablets or desktops. These searches take place on various engines, including Google, Safari, Bing, Yelp, Apple Maps, TripAdvisor, YellowPages and many more sites. In order to meet consumers anywhere and everywhere they’re looking, your business needs to be prominent on all of them.
- Consumer review sites: Reviews are very much a ranking factor and send a strong signal to search engines and potential customers that you are a trusted, quality business. That’s why it makes good sense to be active on key consumer review sites. And once you get reviews, responding to them promptly is an essential component of careful reputation management. No reviews? No problem! Contact us for quick tips on how to build a solid base.
- Online Directories: Up to date directory listings are crucial, so be sure that your contact information, phone, website URL and company details are current and correct across all business directories. Not only does this matter to major search engines, it’s an important way to build brand awareness and establish local consumer trust.
- Social Media: You simply can’t do local marketing without social. Social media connects your business to the community in a way that not only raises awareness for your products and services, but also strengthens your branding efforts. By interacting with the community, you get a chance to build authenticity and nurture a genuine connection with consumers instead of just marketing at them. So be sure that your social sites, including Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn and Instagram, are active, vibrant and up-to-date.
- Optimized Content: Once your business is found, the content you provide to consumers can make or break your business. It must be relevant, accurate and fresh, not just on your website but across all platforms — on GoogleMyBusiness and social sites like Facebook as well as Yelp, TripAdvisor and more — presenting a consistent, professional, up-to-date and compelling face to your customer.
The Takeaway: Be in All the Right Places
The change in consumer dynamics gives local businesses an opportunity to develop an improved customer engagement strategy — which means doing what’s necessary to make sure you get found online. Google search will always be important – it’s the glue that holds every great local marketing campaign together.
But, in today’s complex marketplace, connecting your business to the community at large, where your customers live, work and buy requires you to be prominent across a diverse digital marketing mix.
Of course, we all know this is easier said than done. That’s where we come in.
As the scale and complexity of search marketing grows, we arm you with the simple, intuitive tools and technology to make sense of it all. We can work with you to create a marketing strategy with a strong focus on local SEO, Google, social, online directories and review sites that helps you connect with more new customers, get higher value customers and create better overall user experiences.
Helping our clients build and execute local SEO and marketing that maximizes returns is all we do – and nobody does it better.
Interested? We’d love to show you more!